Sunday, September 23, 2012

This Old House

While at breakfast last week (see last post), we ran into our old neighbors from River Commons and gave them my cell phone number with the intent that they would pass my number on to the people who live in our old house. The hope was that our house's new owners (well, for the last 9 years) would let us come do a quick tour while I was in town. In pure midwestern fashion, the friendly owner Laura called me and we set up a time for us to come over. On Wednesday, Dad and Sebastien and I went to 51669 Old Mill Rd. I was so excited to see my childhood home again...the one that almost all of my nightly dreams take place in. (Does that happen to you too?)
Here it is, looking practically the same, except the backyard trees are bigger.
The kitchen used to be seventies brown and orange, and then in the early 90s we made it pink and blue, so imagine my surprise to see it brown again. Of course, this time it's a very tasteful beige, but it still takes me back.
The family room seemed smaller than I remember but oh so homey. Many a Christmas photos were taken Christmas morning in front of this fireplace.
The basement was 100% the same, and I loved it. It looks like the 3 boys who live there have as much fun as we did down there. Here is Sebastien, me, and Laura.
Aside from the lack of wallpaper, the downstairs bathroom is the same, down to the mirror.
 
Same paper towel holder. Ironically when we remodeled the kitchen to blue, I had wallpapered over the white circle design in blue wallpaper. It's now back to it's original to match the kitchen.
Sebastien on the stairs down to the basement. Where are all of Brian's matchbox cars on the ledge??
Sebastien in Brian's bedroom. Same carper, darker walls.
Dad at the entrance to my room. Same carpet, beige walls instead of yellow and girlie wallpaper.
Still in my room.
Upstairs hallway.
Sebastien sitting on "the rock" in the corner of the front yard. There are many pictures of me as a kid on this rock.
Christmas morning pose.
Cute pic..if only Sebastien wasn't being goofy.
Backyard.
LOVE

No comments: