Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Woodpeckers

Before I get to the woodpeckers, here is Sebastien fishing in the (remaining) pond behind the house. He proudly came home with Daddy to tell me that he caught a stick. :-)
 This morning Dan spotted this guy pecking away at his favorite tree in our yard. Note his many other holes from previous times. I think the oldest hole is about 3 years old and some are from last spring, and now there are a few more from today. I wonder if it's been the same woodpecker returning to one of his favorite trees or if it's a different one who saw all the holes and figured it must be a good one.
Even more exciting - his buddy (or mate?) joined him after about 20 minutes. By that point we were filming instead of snapping pictures. See the video below. His friend joins around minute 1:53. The friend stayed for about 15 more minutes until it flew away and then did a crazy woodpecker call (seriously it was very similar to Woody the Woodpecker) for about 5 minutes until the original one flew off to join him. I wish I was able to record the call. Oh, and these are called Pileated woodpeckers.

No comments: