Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Small (but fun) changes


No, the kids didn't regress in age by over a year. I just posted this photo as a "before" shot of our den before we ripped out the old carpet. Last weekend we finally said enough is enough with that carpet. Even though we couldn't find the source, Dan and I were always seeming to catch faint whiffs of old dog urine coming from that carpet.
Luckily the trusty maple hardwood that lies beneath every surface of our house was also in the den. Unlike the bedrooms upstairs, the carpet padding was such that we didn't have to have the floor professionally cleaned before we could expose it. There are lots of nicks and scratches, but it will do for now until we feel like having it professionally refinished. And yes, the wood paneling makes it look like a sauna. (Maybe we should leave this room bare and move in the hot tub.) 
 Ahhh, that's better. Furniture helps de-sauna-tize it.
I think the only one not so happy with the change is Gwynnie. I found her like this this morning -soaking up some sun on the smallest patch of carpet left in the room.
 The second change around here has been in mommy's car. I'm not sure how I've made it the last two years carting around 2 kids in a 4 door Oldsmobile Alero sedan. Our 2012 Honda Odyssey is making me very, very happy. I did a grocery run and a wholesale run yesterday and could buy as many big packages of paper towels and diapers as I wanted! Imagine not having to be limited by a very small trunk! I am also so excited to bring the kids AND their bikes to the park soon.
 Here's a view of the inside middle seat where the kids sit. There is a seat in between them that comfortably fits an adult or it can be a tray/cupholder. The third row seat fits 3 adults or folds down into the floor to make for a lot of storage room.  When my family comes tomorrow (agh! I should totally be cleaning right now), we will see how taking 7 people on a long car ride goes. It seats 8 so it should be fine, right?! Anyway, I won't go on and on about the features, except to say that Sebastien learned in about 2 seconds how to open and close the sliding doors by pressing a button. (Don't worry, I can lock it if I want to.) He's thrilled. I'm thrilled about many things, including the built-in trash can. I know it's silly to be thrilled about a $2 piece of plastic but c'mon - no more "mommy take my fruit snack wrapper, kleenex, booger, etc." I'll say, "Put it in the trash can!"
And finally, this may not be a "change" so to speak, but it helps complete today's theme, so humor me. Dan and Sebastien planted the early spring vegetables last weekend. They planted peas, kohlrabi, lettuce, and chives...and maybe something else. I can't remember. Anyway, my boys love to garden. And I love them...and eating what they grow.

Happy (early) Easter everyone!

No comments: